Joana Choumali, born in 1974, is visual artist based in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire. She studied graphic arts in Casablanca (Morocco) and worked as an art director in an advertising agency before embarking on her photography career. She works mainly on conceptual photography and mixed media.
Much of her work focuses on Africa, and what she learns about the innumerable cultures around her. Her work allows her to explore the assumptions she has and nurtured her world views. In her latest works, Joana embroiders directly on the images completing the act of creating the photograph image with the slow and meditative gesture. Her most recent artworks are unique objects enriched by her choice of textiles and sense of color. In Abidjan, Joana has exhibited at the Museum of Civilizations, the Donwahi Foundation for Contemporary Arts, the Rotonde des Arts, and Palais de la Culture.
Abroad: she exhibited during the Photoquai Biennale at the Musée du Quai Branly (Paris), at the Troppenmuseum in (Amsterdam) , at the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa , (Zeitz Mocaa) Capetown , at the Fondation Blachère, at the Bamako International Photography Biennale, at the Lagos Photo Festival. In 2014, she won the POPCAP14 International Photography Award and the Emerging Photographer LensCulture Award. In 2016, she received the Magnum Emergency Grant Foundation, and the Fourthwall Books Award in South Africa
In 2017, she exhibited her series "Translation" and "Adorn" at the Pavilion of the Ivory Coast during the 57th Venice International Biennale. Her work has been published in the international press :CNN, New York Times, Washington Post, El Pais, Le Monde, The Guardian, The Huffington Post, Harper Bazaar Art etc.
Her book "HAABRE", was published and edited in Johannesburg in 2016.
Joana’s recent series "ça va aller..." (it will be OK) (2016-2019) is shortlisted for the 8th cycle of Prix Pictet “Hope”.
- September 2019
- Unseen Photography fair Amsterdam , solo Booth exhibition , Gallery 1957, Series “Albahian”
- Exhibition “Woven Matters” Unseen Photography fair , Amsterdam, Series “Albahian”
- “Welcome Home” exhibition MACAAL Museum , Marrakech, series « Ça va aller »
- August 2019
- “How Do You Spell A Silent Sound” solo exhibition Series « Albahian », « ça va aller », « Translation », at Gallery 1957, Accra
- July 2019
- N’GOLÁ BIENNALE, Biennial of Arts and Culture, Sao tomé e Principe, series ALBA'HIAN
- May 2019
- Chapter 2 of the exhibition, 'Still here tomorrow to high five you yesterday... 'Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa , (Zeitz Mocaa) Capetown, series Albahian
- 1:54 CONTEMPORARY ART FAIR,New York series « Alba’hian » and « ça va aller »
- Group Exhibition Filamant on Textile contemporary Art, Fondation Blachère France
- Feb 2019
- solo exhibition “3134” Loft Art Gallery Casablanca,
- Akaa Fair, Paris, series “ ça va aller” , “Alba’Hian”
- 1:54 CONTEMPORARY ART FAIR, Marrackech series « Alba’hian » and « ça va aller »
- Dec 2018
- Exhibition « Dream and Identity » at Riad El Fenn, Marrakech
- November 2018
- Exhibition ”Africa is No Island”, Fondation Zinsou, Cotonou, Bénin, series Hââbré, the Last generation
- Akaa Fair, Paris, series “ ça va aller” and “Alba’Hian”
- October 2018 Breda Photo festival - International Photography Festival, series « Awoulaba »
- June 2018 Exposition “ Côte d’Ivoire, Identité et vitalité de l Art Contemporain Mattatoio, Rome, Italie
- May 2018 Dakar Biennale (Off de Dapper) with Fondation Dapper, series Nappy
- May 2018 1:54 Art Fair in NYC, series “ça va aller
- April 2018 AfricAfrica! exhibition. Contemporary photography and design by African artists. - PALAZZO LITTA - Milan , Italie
- April 2018 “Where I Seek, I Find Myself,” exhibition - Mfon Photo - Mocada Museum New York city
- February 2018 "Africa is no Island",Opening exhibition of the Musuem of African Contemporary Art Al maaden, Marrackech ( MACAAL) series "HAABRE THE LAST GENERATION"
- February 2018 1:54 CONTEMPORARY ART FAIR, Marrackech "Series "Ça va aller"
- Janvier 2018 Afriques Artistes d'hier et d'aujourdhui Fondation Clément et Fondation Dapper, Martinique "Series "Nappy" et "Persona"
- December 2017 Afrotopia, Biennale internationale de la Photographie Africaine de Bamako 2017 "Series "ça va aller"
- November 2017
- Also Known As Africa (AKAA FAIR) Paris "Series "ça va aller
- Lagos Photo Festival , Nigeria "Series "Translation"
- October 2017 solo Show "BITTER" à Beurs Van Berlage , Amsterdam "Serie "Bitter, Chocolate Stories"
- September 2017 Monopoli Photo Festival, Monopoli, Italy (PHEst 17) "Series "Awoulaba/Taille Fine »
- July 2017 Festival International de Photographie pour les femmes photographes - St gilles Croix de Vie, France "Series "Résilientes
- June 2017 Exhibition "A fleur de peau", Abbaye de Daoulas, Brest, "Series "Hââbré*, the last generation
- June 2017
- Exhibition "The Elusive Body" Festival Image Afrique , Basel , Series "Awoulaba Taille Fine »
- Exhibition "Le Havre -Dakar", Musée d'Histoire naturelle, LeHavre, Series "Adorn »
- Exhibition "A fleur de peau", Abbaye de Daoulas, Brest, "Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- May 2017 Venice Biennale 2017 Venice - Series "Adorn » and " Translation"
- March 2017 Lagos Photo Festival Exhibition " Where Future beats" Milan - Series "Resilients
- March 2017 Lagos Photo Festival Exhibition " Where Future beats" Milan - Series "Resilients
- February 2017 Brught Young Things Exhibition - Art Africa Fair 2017
- November 2016 Group Exhibition "The Female Gaze» Milan - Series "Awoulaba Taille Fine »
- October 2016
- Land of African Business Conference - Cop 22 - Hotel de l'Industrie- Paris (Series Resilients)
- Casablanca Biennale, "We the people", Institut Francais de Casablanca ( Series Translation)
- Also Known As Africa Fair, 50Golborne Art and Design, Paris, series "Haabré, the last generation"
- September 2016 Exhibition "Africa Forecast" Group show- Spelmann Museum -Atlanta ( series Resilientes and IG pictures)
- August 2016 Festival Cinemas d'Afrique de Lausanne - Solo Show- Series "Haabre, the last generation »
- July 2016 LES RENCONTRES DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE d'ARLES 2016 - Series "Persona, the social mask »
- May 2016 KOLGA TBILISI PHOTO FESTIVAL 2016 - Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- March 2016 "Find us on the map" Lagos photo Festival exhibition, Rush Gallery, New York, USA. series "Awoulaba /Taille fine"
- February 2016 Solo Exhibition - 50 Golborne Gallery- London- "Hââbré, the last generation"
- January 2016 Africa Contemporary @ LA Art Show, Los Angeles- "Hââbré, the last generation"
- November 2015 "Photolux Festival "Sacro e profano"Lucca, Italia, Series "Résilientes »
- October 2015 "Bold (Feminine)" Exhibition Marcia Wood Gallery Atlanta GA, Series "Résilientes"
- October 2015 Lagos Photo Festival 2015 "Designing Future" Lagos, Eko Suite Hotel Nigeria, Series "Awoulaba/Taille Fine »
- September 2015 Photoquai Biennale 2015 "We are family" Quai Branly Museum, and Eiffel Tower, Paris, Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- August 2015
- Casablanca Biennale At the French Institute of Valencia, Spain "Series « Emotions à Nu » / "Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- OBSCURA Festival Screening , Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia "Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- July 2015 Exhibition "Design is the personality of an idea" Ford Foundation, Lagos Series "Adorn"
- April 2015 Exhibition "Skin Deep" at The Troppenmuseum of World Cultures, Amsterdam - Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- Feb 2015 Exhibition LagosPhoto Festival at "Grid Cape Town Biennial International Photography Festival ", Series "Hââbré*, the lastgeneration »
- Nov 2014
- Exhibition "AGri-Cultures » Abidjan - National Museum of Civilisations , Abidjan, Series "women in agriculture »
- POPCAP’14 exhibition, Eyes On - European Month of Photography. Vienna "Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- POPCAP’14 exhibition Festival Internacional de Fotografia de Cabo Verde. "Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- Figuration "3x3" à Dakar par la Maison d'Aïssa Dione, la Galerie MAM et la Fondation Donwahi , Dakar - "Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- Oct 2014
- POPCAP'14 exhibition in Cape Town, South Africa "Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- POPCAP'14 exhibition LagosPhoto Festival in Lagos, Nigeria. "Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- Casablanca Biennale- exhibition in Casablanca, Morrocco "Series « Emotions à Nu » / "Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- Exhibition of 50 Lensculture Emerging Talents- Galeria Valid Foto, Barcelona, "Series "Hââbré*, the last generation »
- Sept 2014 Documentary Photography Festival Barrobjectif - exhibition in Barro Charentes, France - Series "From Darkness to light"
- Sept 2014P OPCAP'14 exhibition in Basel, Switzerland - Series "Hââbré*,the last génération"
- July/Sept 2014 "Pour les noirs et pour les blancs" Exhibition, Hierro des Villes Gallery, Nice, France, plastic serie “Emotions à nu”
- Jun/Aug 2014 AAA2014 exhibition, Fondation Donwahi for the Contemporary Art- Abidjan.
- Apr / May 2014 Photography Festival." l'Emoi photographique "Série plastique "Hââbré*,the last génération"", Hôtel Saint Simon Angoulême
- October / Décember 2013Private exhibition ASCOMA Company, plastic serie serie “Emotions à nu”, Abidjan
- Sept 2012 "Bicici, Amie des Arts" Abidjan, plastic serie 'Akan'
- May 2013 Photography Festival." l'Emoi photographique" plastic serie "Nappy", Angoulême
- June 2012 International school Jules Verne, documentary serie "Instants de vie" , Abidjan
- November 2012
- Slideshow "On the Roof ", National Museum Cinémathèque of Bamako biannual, Bamako Photography festival, documentary serie 'Ces Invisibles'
- June 2012
- "OFA 2012 Olympics of Arts" London Olympic games, Fine Arts serie "Nappy" London
- September 2011
- “ Petite revue de l'art moderne et contemporain de Côte d'Ivoire ” An exhibition of contemporary Ivorian art organized by the Rotonde des Arts Gallery, documentary serie 'Ces Invisibles'
- October 2011
- "Bicici Amie des Arts" in Abidjan, documentary serie 'Ces Invisibles'
- December 2011
- Eureka Gallery, Abidjan exhibition plastic serie « Nappy »
- October 2000
- Goethe Institute Abidjan, biannual festival "les Rencontres du Sud", plastic serie "Birth"
- 8th cycle of Prix Pictet "Hope" series Ça va aller - Shortlisted
- Fourthwall books Award Winner - series "Hââbré, the last generation"
- Magnum Foundation Emergency Fund Grant - Winner Series "Sissi Barra" -
- POPCAP'14 Prize Africa 2014 (CAP PRIZE) "Hââbré, the last generation" - Winner
- LensCulture Emerging Talents Awards "Hââbré, the last generation" - Winner
- june 2015 : Ifirty contemporary art center, Essaouira Morocco
- February 2016: Ifirty contemporary art center, Essaouira Morocco
- September 2017: Nirox Foundation, Johannesburg, South Africa
COLLABORATIONS/ PHOTOGRAPHY ASSIGNEMENTS:
- Le Monde Afrique
- Forbes Afrique Magazine
- The Africa Report
- Italian Vanity Fair,
- Paradox Editions/ Tony's Chocolonely
- New York Times Lens Blog
4th edition of PHOTOVOGUE FESTIVAL JURY MEMBER - 2019
HE WORLD PRESS PHOTO CONTEST 2018, Category People - JURY MEMBER
MEMBER OF AFRICAN PHOTOJOURNALISM DATA BASE (APJD)
MEMBER OF EVERYDAY AFRICA (@EVERYDAYAFRICA)
MEMBER OF MFONPHOTO
- 2016 HAABRE THE LAST GENERATION, Fourthwall Books Editions
- 2017« BITTER Chocolate Stories », Paradox Editions, The Netherlands